Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Thing 7 Stretch

Today I was doing some research in order to upgrade my cell phone. I wanted to get information on the Blackberry. Many links that I chose from search engine results directed me to commercial sites where the Blackberry is actually being sold. I just wanted non-sales information, so I tried wikipedia. The content seemed valid and well written. Because of this exercise, I visited the History and Discussion tabs. I had never done this before although I have used wikipedia quite a lot. I found the History tab info to be quite cumbersome and confusing. The Discussion section provides the reader with a sense of whether or not the info within the article is valid and even gives the article a quality rating based on several criteria. That's pretty strenuous. But what/who gives the source of the quality ratings their expertise? What qualifies them to do the rating?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for trying to stretch activity. With wikipedia, the history tab on the pages works the same way as it does in wikispaces. Yes, it is cumbersome and confusing because it documents EVERY change that was made on that page. As you can see, there are so many people who post additions and edits to these pages. It's amazing to me the amassing of knowledge from a collective intelligence that is put into the creation and upkeeping of these pages.

    ReplyDelete